Job Title: Assistant Tax Assessor
Salary: $55,583 - $66,230
Hours: 35 hours per week
Application Deadline: June 7, 2019; 11:59 pm
Revised Application Deadline & Experience and Training
Examples of Duties
General Statement of Duties:
1. Proficiency with computer, including but not limited to Word and Excel
2. Handles complex assignments
3. Works independently
4. Independently prepares correspondence and reports
5. Performs responsible and difficult tasks involving independent judgment and personal initiative
6. Assists in preparation of departmental budget and reports
7. May act as administrative liaison with internal or external sources
8. Performs financial and statistical record keeping
9. Mathematical ability; may handle cash
10. Will be cross-trained and will assist in training others, as determined by departmental need
11. Attends and keeps minutes of meetings as required by department
12. Related work as assigned
13. Maintains confidentiality required by the office.
- Develops, prepares and tabulates technical information involved in the assessment of real and personal property on the Grand List of the Town
- Inspects sites of new construction, renovations, additions and demolitions.
- Inspects, measures and collects all assessment information on real and/or personnel property.
- Assists the Assessor in personal property inspections and obtains current value of motor vehicles, furniture, fixtures, machinery and equipment as needed.
Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the Tax Assessor or his/her designee
Supervision Exercised: Acts as the Tax Assessor in his/her absence and may supervise all part time and office personnel in a lower classification.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Knowledge of office procedures and principles of office management and or record keeping
- Strong computer skills with an emphasis on Word and Excel
- Ability to respond courteously to the public
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to learn appropriate State and Town laws
- Clear and concise written and oral expression
- Accuracy and attention to details
Experience and Training:
- BA or BS degree with minimum (2) two years experience in assessment or appraisal of real estate OR IN LIEU OF DEGREE six (6) years municipal tax assessing/appraisal experience.
- CCMA designation desirable.
- Must have valid CT Driver’s License.
General Information on this Examination
Experience & Training 100%
Each candidate must have the required experience and training to be eligible for this position which includes: Graduation from college with a BA or BS Degree, a minimum of four (4) years experience in office work including public contact, minimum two (2) years experience in assessment or appraisal of real estate, CCMA designation desirable, a valid State of CT Driver’s license.
(PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DO NOT MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.)
Before final certification, each applicant must successfully pass a drug and alcohol test.
- Mailing Address
- 5866 Main Street
Trumbull, Connecticut, 06611
This examination will be conducted for the Town of Trumbull by the Trumbull Civil Service Board within the authority of Section 7-413 of the 1959 revision of the State of CT. Please notify the Civil Service office in advance of the examination of any disability which may require special accommodation. Anyone claiming Veterans’ Preference must bring original DD 214 document.
As an applicant for employment, you are a consumer with rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. As part of the employment process, including for determinations related to initial employment, the Town may obtain from a consumer reporting agency, a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report on you as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Applicants must be citizens of the Unites States or must present proper authorization to work in the United States by the closing date.