Job Title: Tax Assessor
Salary: $116,680 - $132,530
Hours: Mon - Fri 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
The essential functions or duties described below are the primary functions and duties of the position. There may be other types of work that may be performed, and the omission of a particular duty or function does not exclude that duty or function from the position provided the duty or function is similar in work, related to the work or logically assigned to the position.
This position is responsible for planning, directing, and supervising the city Tax Assessors Division within the Department of Finance and all matters relating to real and personal property assessment for taxation purposes in accordance with local and state law.
Included in this work is preparation of the annual Grand List and all real and personal property assessments, sales and valuation indicators, motor vehicles and personal properties. The position is responsible for directing and supervising the property revaluation processes, slated for October 1, 2020. The position also is liaison to a Board of Assessment Appeals and may deal with taxpayer inquiries; and serve as an expert witness for the city in litigation, implement all state and city tax relief programs, and prepare division budgets and supervise a department staff of professional appraisers and general tax clerks.
This position is appointed by the Mayor, and reports under the general administrative direction of the City Director of Finance.
Minimum Educational and Experience Requirements:
Four (4) year college degree preferred, with some specialization in business, finance, or related fields. Four (4) years of experience as either an Assessor and/or Deputy Assessor preferred. Seven (7) years of experience in professional assessing or appraising of commercial, industrial, residential and personal property of which four (4) years should be at a supervisory level in a municipality.
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) terminology.
- Broad knowledge of basic business/management theories.
- Ability to analyze work problems and prescribe remedial actions.
- Ability to plan, direct and control the resources available to the City.
- Good computer skills and knowledge of Word and Excel are essential.
- Ability to plan, schedule, assign and supervise the work of others as required; ability to prepare and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing to management, co-workers, customers and the public.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and perform work independently; ability to make decisions and act quickly.
- A valid State of Connecticut Municipal Assessor Certification required; CCMA II highly preferred.
- State of Connecticut motor vehicle operator’s license.
Please be informed, the selected candidate will be hired on a full-time provisional basis. In accordance with Section 214 of the Charter of the City of Bridgeport, provisional hires are and will be subject to Civil Service examination; when an examination is given for this position at some future date. Provisional employees will be required to test and rank/score sufficient enough to maintain employment. This position shall be filled on a permanent basis pursuant to and consistent with Chapter 14, Section 4 of the Charter of the City of Bridgeport.
To Apply: Please mail, deliver or email a cover letter, resume, and required certification(s) to the Civil Service Commission office, 45 Lyon Terrace, room 106, Bridgeport, CT 06604. Required documents can be emailed to COB.Jobs@bridgeportct.gov.
Full Details on the City Website https://www.bridgeportct.gov