Job Title: Assessor's Assistant
Salary: To be Determined
Hours: 12 hours per week
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software – Word, Excel, Outlook, as well as knowledge of internet access and basic web browsing. MS Access a plus.
Organizational skills – including filing and maintaining records, both paper and electronic.
Must be able to
- Take direction well
- Assist customers in a pleasant and helpful manner
- Produce well-written correspondence
- Analyze situations, and workload and prioritize to self-direct
- Pass a background check
- May be asked to attend job-related classes/workshops
- Attention to detail and accuracy is vital.
Will Provide Training for
- Daily Customer Service – answering phones, helping residents, appraisers, real estate agents, title searchers, attorneys etc. at the counter during Town Hall hours (9 a.m. to noon, Tuesday through Friday), taking initiative to resolve issues, or direct issues to assessor or appropriate departments.
- Specialized clerical and administrative work of a complex nature in support of the Assessor’s Office, including Data Entry into Department software systems as assigned
- Apply an understanding of motor vehicle, personal property and other assessment statutes to office functions.
- Prepare and maintain the Motor Vehicle Grand List, including the processing of additions, deletes, and pro-ration for billing. Prepare and maintain the Personal Property Grand List, including additions, deletes, and declaration processing.
- Prepare and facilitate mass mailings as needed
- Assist in the administration of benefit and exemption programs – working with elderly and disabled residents to help them complete applications necessary for tax relief.
- Provide information and assistance to the public with courtesy and accuracy including assistance with public Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) system, Geographic Information System (GIS) and Assessor’s maps.
- Assist the Assessor with state reports required by Connecticut Office of Policy and Management (OPM).
- Verify daily computer backups.
- Verify status of land classified as PA 490 (Farm and Forest).•Update and distribute street guide with transfers
- Maintain cross reference file and other office-related applications and produce Grand List for Registrars for Voting
- May be asked to assist with inspections of properties in town
- Perform all other duties as assigned to complete the shared mission of the Assessor’s Office.
- Assist other Town Hall departments as needed depending on availability.
Or (preferably) firstname.lastname@example.org