Job Title: Assistant Assessor
Salary: $64,002 to $86,530
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
This is responsible technical and supervisory work involving assessing property for tax purposes. Work involves responsibility for the valuation of residential property and for assisting in the preparation of the Grand List. Duties include field visits, supervision of office staff, development of supplemental automobile list in support of the Grand List. This position is also invested with making difficult property assessment technical decisions. The work requires that the employee have considerable knowledge, skill and ability in all phases of property assessment work, especially residential property.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general supervision of the Assessor.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assists in supervising the operations of the Division and participates in all aspects of Division activities.
- Conducts assessments of residential property, including field inspections, as required, review and compilation of field cards, abstract cards and related records and maps.
- Participates in assessment appeals by property owners and assists in defending the Town.
- Compiles assessment data and prepares a variety of reports.
- Acts for the Assessor in his or her absence or as assigned.
- Trains and monitors Division personnel in standard procedures and practices.
- Assists in administering various special programs such as the elderly benefit program; assists in administering the sewer use charge program by determining charges.
- Assists in administering Division budget.
- Performs related work as required.
TITLE: ASSISTANT ASSESSOR KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of property assessment principles and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of property assessment laws, regulations and ordinances.
- Some knowledge of data processing technology as applied to a municipal assessment operations.
- Good ability in property appraisal and assessment.
- Considerable ability in oral and written communications.
- Considerable ability to train and supervise the work of subordinates.
- Good ability to complete work within deadlines.
- Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates, subordinates, property owners and the general public.
A two year degree from a recognized college in property appraisal, or a related field plus three years of progressively responsible assessment or appraisal experience, OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience substituting the basis of one year of experience for each year of education.
- May be required to travel short distances on business.
- Must be able to and must obtain C.C.M.A. designation.
For full details and an employment application, click here.
Phone: (203) 385-4007
Fax: (203) 385-4037
Stratford Town Hall 2725 Main Street, Stratford, CT 06615