Job Title: Assessment Technician
Salary: $51,136 - $71,591
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00 - 5:00
Application Deadline: November 30, 2022; 5:00 PM
Application Deadline Extended
Vacancy is in the Assessment Division of the Finance Department. Under supervision, assists in the assessment of real and personal property by performing increasingly difficult technical and professional assessing work.
- Monitors and updates real estate title changes on land records.
- Uses independent judgment in deciding the methods and techniques of appraisal and the reliability of income, expense and cost data obtained.
- Reviews declarations of taxable personal property of retail, wholesale, and industrial establishments including leased equipment, inventories and goods in process, and recommends values; and verifies information in the field.
- Coordinates assessor’s records with data processing programs in accordance with statutory directed schedules and tax-list completion dates.
- May supervise clerical personnel in various assessment office functions, including application of various exemptions, and finalizing of Grand Lists.
- May assume responsibility for pricing automotive equipment.
- Investigates and studies prevailing practices on depreciation and replacement values.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
The examination will consist of rating your training and experience as contained on your application. It may also include a written test, an oral test, or a combination thereof. All parts of the examination, including tests and ratings, will be related to the requirements of the position.
The examination will be designed to measure:
- Knowledge of real estate and building construction appraisal techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of state assessment laws.
- Knowledge of accounting principles as applied to assessment practices.
- Knowledge of building construction techniques and types.
- Ability to appraise personal and real property.
- Ability to maintain effective public relations with the public and fellow employees.
- Ability to perform increasingly complex assessing work with minimum supervision.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college with major work in accounting, business administration, or a closely-related field and two (2) years of responsible experience in estimating real or personal property values, or two (2) years in building construction cost estimating.
Or in lieu thereof, any combination of the above training and experience to a total of six (6)years.
APPLICATIONS and JOB DESCRIPTION MAY BE FOUND ONLINE AT:
Human Resources Department
550 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06103
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Hartford is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.