Job Title: Chief Assessment Technician
Salary: $72,830 - $93,638 Annually
Hours: 40 per week
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Vacancy is in the Assessment Division of the Finance Department.
- Under administrative direction, assists the City Assessor and Assistant City Assessor in planning, directing and supervising projects of personal property assessment for taxation. Directs and participates in the performance of difficult and complex property assessments and prepares valuations for personal property accounts throughout the city.
- Assists in formulation of work methods and policies for the division.
- Supervises subordinates and produces statistical reports.
- Assists the City Assessor with defense of tax appeals performing research, producing appraisal reports and submitting expert testimony as necessary. Assists the City Assessor with the annual compilation of the grand list.
- Confers with taxpayers, attorneys, accountants, and other authorized representatives. Performs related work as required.
This is a HMEA position. The hours of work for this position are 40 per week and the above salary includes 5% in lieu of overtime.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods and state-of-the-art techniques of real and personal property evaluation for assessment purposes and generally accepted accounting practices;
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations governing the assessment of real and personal property;
- Knowledge of the types of personal property commonly exempt from taxation;
- Ability to perform difficult and complex property assessments and re-assessments.
- Ability to plan, assign, and supervise the work of subordinate personnel;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with taxpayers, their representatives, associates and the public;
- Ability to make mathematical calculations accurately and quickly;
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports for the general public, the press and City officials.
Open to all applicants who meet the following qualifications:
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major work in accounting, public administration and business administration or a closely related field AND Five (5) years of increasingly professional experience in real or personal property assessment work, at least two (2) years of which must be supervisory experience of professional staff.
Certification by the State of Connecticut as a Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor I or II is desirable.
HARTFORD RESIDENCY PREFERRED:
Preferably be a bona-fide resident of the City of Hartford at the time of application. A completed CITY OF HARTFORD RESIDENCY AFFIDAVIT including proof of residency as indicated on the RESIDENCY AFFIDAVIT may be submitted.
APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED IN ITS ENTIRETY, INCLUDING ANY REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION. APPLICATIONS WITHOUT PROPER DOCUMENTATION MAY RESULT
IN YOUR DISQUALIFICATION. APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AND ARE NOT ACCEPTED VIA FACSIMILE OR EMAIL.
If selected, you will be required to pass a physical examination administered by a City physician, a drug and alcohol screening, and a background check. If appointed, you will serve 3-12 months of probation. This examination and employment process is subject to all federal, state, and municipal laws, rules and regulations.
INFORMATION CONCERNING THE EXAMINATION AND TESTING PROCESS WILL BE PROVIDED THROUGH EMAIL.
Preferential Points may be given to Eligible Veterans. Must submit a Veteran’s Preference Form, along with a DD-214 and Disability letter (if applicable) from the Office of Veteran’s Affairs.
The Human Resources Department provides reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation in the application or testing process, please contact the Human Resources Department.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Hartford is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.