Job Title: Administrative Assistant II
Salary: $57,803 ($31.76 per hour)
Hours: 35 Hours per week
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
This office position works under the direct supervision of the Director and/or designee and is non-supervisory in nature. Responsibilities include direct contact with the public and other staff in person or by telephone or email. In addition, the other general and specific office and bookkeeping duties as outlined under the essential duties and responsibilities section; it is essential that the candidate be able to work under pressure and multi-task due to seasonal high phone call volume and in office traffic.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answer department phones and greet visitors
- Provide information and answer questions regarding departmental functions and programs. Refer question and inquiries to proper staff as needed.
- Open and distribute department mail.
- Maintain existing departmental reports and create or modify reports to OPM, as needed.
- Maintain office retention requirements for Assessor records.
- Work with land record documents to update Town’s GIS
- Read, understand real estate deeds and maps
- Maintain office supply stocks and reorder as needed.
- Maintain elderly/veteran benefits/programs/applications
- Prepare department payroll.
- Keep track of employee vacation/sick time and document same within department.
- Operate various office equipment including but not limited to; PC, calculator, typewriter, copier, fax machine and printers.
- Maintain and create files as needed both physically and electronically.
- Enter requisitions into the Town’s financial management system as directed.
- Code invoices for payment as directed and maintain department’s ledgers.
- Schedule vendor services to ensure office equipment stays operational, as directed.
- Prepare bid packages and bid advertisements and distribute same.
- Cross train other staff members in essential functions, as needed, to ensure coverage.
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to perform responsibilities and duties accurately with frequent interruptions.
- Must possess the ability to work well with the public in person and on the phone.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Must have high ethical standards and be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to work well with other staff members.
- Must have strong computer skills, and have experience using Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able to transcribe communication received in verbal or written form and type at a rate of 50 wpm.
- Must be able to make mathematical calculations of moderate difficulty.
- Must be able to perform multiple tasks, prioritize and complete assignments.
- Must be willing to attend courses to improve necessary skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from high school or possession of high school equivalency diploma, college degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years employment experience in a secretarial field.
- Knowledge in assessment functions and statutes.
- Ability to bend, stoop, push pull and lift objects up to 25 pounds
- Ability to sit and stand for extended period.
- The position is exposed to fluctuations in room temperature, minor dust and loud noise.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In accordance with the working agreement between the Town of Southington and the United Public Services Employees Union, Local 424-Unit 35
Performance to be evaluated annually by the official of the Assessor’s Department.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual(s) currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.