Job Title: Assessor - Shared
Salary: $90,000 to $95,000 DOQ
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
The Towns of Bolton and Willington are accepting applications for a full-time Assessor that will split their time between the two locations.
Interested candidates must be certified as a Connecticut Municipal Assessor. This is a full-time salaried position with full benefits.
Definition: Planning, organizing and administering a town-wide program of real and personal property assessment for taxation purposes and related statutory duties.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Town Administrator and/or the First Selectman.
Supervision Exercised: Supervises Assistant to the Assessor and other staff in the functional areas of appraisal, assessment and administrative clerical duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Thorough knowledge of the theory, principles, methods, and techniques of real and personal property valuation for assessment purposes
- Thorough knowledge and ability to interpret assessment law under Connecticut Statutes
- Knowledge of data processing applications pertaining to assessment methods.
- Ability to apply principles of assessment to solve practical problems
- Ability to lead and supervise staff; ability to foster relationships and deal effectively with officials, business owners, outside agencies, employees, and the general public
- Ability to train employees.
- Ability to initiate, organize and execute municipal assessment programs.
- Ability to read and interpret real estate maps; ability to prepare and publicly present reports in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to make accurate cost estimates; ability to develop and maintain a departmental budget
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to draw conclusions or approaches to problems to implement solutions; excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Must be computer proficient with the ability to learn software programs specific to the job.
- Ability to work independently.
Minimum Qualifications Required: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Real Estate, Public Administration, or some closely related field and at least four (4) years progressively responsible experience in a municipal assessor’s office or property assessment work with experience with CAMA or similar mass appraisal software. Supervisory experience. Any equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience which demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be substituted for the above mentioned college education.
License and Certificate:
- Certification as a Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor, CCMA I or CCMA II.
- A Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- This position will require travel between the participating towns and surrounding areas.
Please submit completed applications, cover letter and resume to Kathy McCavanagh at Bolton Town Hall, 222 Bolton Center Rd Bolton CT 06043, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The full job description can be found here.
The Town of Willington is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer