Job Title: Assessor
Salary: Salary depends on qualifications and is commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: August 10th, 2020 at 4:30 pm
General Description/Definition of Work
This position plans, organizes and directs the appraisal of real property for assessment purposes as well as related work as required for the Town of Woodbridge. Duties include planning, organizing and directing the appraisal, valuation and revaluation of real property in the Town; assisting citizens with real estate assessment problems and needs; maintaining records and files; preparing reports. Performs all relevant tasks associated with a municipal assessment department. Position reports to the Director of Finance.
Essential Job Functions/Typical Tasks
- Plans, directs and supervises the operations and staff of the department and administers and evaluates assessment activities including discovery of taxable property, residential property valuation, determination of property ownership.
- Drafts and recommends policies and plans for the implementation of property assessment goals and objectives.
- Determines the eligibility for abatement programs and exemptions and applies them appropriately.
- Analyzes and values residential, motor vehicle, commercial and industrial property by computing replacement costs or analyzing financial statements; applies tax exemptions where applicable.
- Inspects all sales used to develop values; formulates valuation models; sends out notices; holds public hearings and defends values.
- Directs the town wide revaluation of all residential and commercial properties;
- Analyzes and values real, motor vehicle and personal property for the preparation of the annual Grand List; conducts on-site inspections and listing of new construction.
- Directs the maintenance of tax maps and a variety of assessment records; interprets deeds; compiles assessment data and prepares a variety of reports; analyzes property trends.
- Participates in assessment appeals by property owners and defends the Town’s findings.
- Prepares the annual department budget;
- Confers with Town officials and staff, property owners and attorneys to provide information and to resolve problems and complaints.
- Completes and prepares a variety of required state reports.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles, practices and relevant laws of property appraising for assessment purposes; thorough knowledge of building construction practices for building and land values; comprehensive knowledge of the state laws, relating to property assessing.
- Ability to analyze factors which tend to influence the value of property and to exercise judgment in the determination of property values; ability to write clear and concise reports.
- Familiar with assessment and mapping software commonly associated with a municipal assessment department
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in business, economics or related field with supervisory experience required. Experience in municipal assessing strongly preferred. Consideration may be given to equivalent experience and training.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of Connecticut. Possession of CCMA II certification.
Applications are being accepted through August 10th, 2020 at 4:30 pm.
Qualified individuals are to submit their application and related materials to The Town of Woodbridge, 11 Meetinghouse Lane, Woodbridge, CT 06525, Attention: Anthony F. Genovese, Administrative Officer / Director of Finance.
Electronic submissions are acceptable to email@example.com. The Town of Woodbridge is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications available on the Town of Woodbridge website at www.woodbridgect.org.