Job Title: Assessor
Salary: $95,770 - $107,852
Hours: 37.5 per week
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Application Deadline Extended
Oversees and participates in the valuation and assessment of all real and personal property within the Town of Wethersfield as required under Connecticut General Statutes. Reports directly to the Finance Director.
Essential Functions of Work:
- Prepare and finalize the Grand List as mandated by Connecticut General Statutes; prepare and finalize reports for Town Officials.
- Discover, value and list all taxable and exempt real estate, personal property and motor vehicles within the Town of Wethersfield with the assistance of staff.
- Support the Assistant Assessor in performing Real Estate inspections of new construction, renovations, additions, demolitions and verification of data for proper valuation. As well as the maintenance of splits, lot combinations, assessment maps, records, and acreage updates.
- Support and educate the Assistant Assessor and the Assessment Specialist in the valuation of Real Estate, Personal Property and Motor Vehicles as needed.
- Supervise assessment staff.
- Prepare the division operating budget.
- Responsible for the implementation of State-mandated revaluations; monitor and approve work completed while meeting deadlines.
- Prepare for and defend property subject to tax appeals filed with the superior court; which may include hiring expert witnesses (i.e. appraisers), analyzing, and evaluating appraisals.
Formulates and prescribes policies, work methods, and procedures for subordinates in the listing and appraisal of taxable real and personal property. Review and assist in Personal Property audits. Prepare and file State Reports as required by Connecticut General Statutes. Review Equalized Net Grand List for proper reporting of sales to the Office of Policy and Management; amend and make changes with the State as needed. Review filed Income & Expense reports. Prepare and review tax exemption applications in accordance with Connecticut General Statutes. Projects estimated values of proposed buildings for commercial developments for planning purposes and for Town officials.
Meets and provides information to the public, other Town departments, and attorneys to explain assessment procedures and conclusions. Supervises the coordination of tax appeals and provides information to appropriate officials as requested.
Submits oral and written reports to State and Town officials, and consults with same on assessment related matters. Assist in the performance of daily office operations – filing, assisting customers, answering phones and emails, processing certificates of correction, and other assistance as needed. Review appeals filed with the Board of Assessment Appeals; attend Board of Assessment Appeals as needed. Obtains additional training and education in Appraisal and Assessment Laws and techniques. Performs related work as required.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or some closely related field, and four years of progressively responsible work experience in real and personal property appraisal including two years of municipal assessment function. Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor Certification II (CCMA II). Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
The above description is illustrative and not a complete itemization of all facets of any job.
To Apply for This Position:
Completed Employment Application and resume must be received by Human Resources no later than the above closing date and time. Mailing address: 505 Silas Deane Highway, Wethersfield, Connecticut 06109, or email HR@wethersfieldct.gov. An Employment Application is available on the Job Opportunities page of the Town website www.wethersfieldct.gov.
Additional information may be found on the job description also posted on the Town website.
Successful candidate must pass a physical, drug test, and background check prior to employment.
The Town of Wethersfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.