Job Title: Assessment Aide III
Hours: 35 Hours/week (Mon-Fri 8:00am - 4:00pm)
Application Deadline: November 26, 2023
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provides office administrative assistance to the Assessor. Supervises and performs work related to the processing and entering of data into an automated record-keeping system to assist in the establishment of the Grand List.
Works under the supervision of the Town Assessor.
Supervises clerical help as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Receives instructions from the Assessor, organizes work according to standard office procedures and assigns work to Clerical Staff.
- Receives information concerning Motor Vehicles, Personal property, Real Estate, and Exemptions and prepares the information for entry into the automated system.
- Performs and supervises entry of information by computer terminal.
- Reviews computer printouts for accuracy and correct errors.
- Assists the elderly and general public in filing for and computing exemptions, tax relief benefits.
- Maintains files and prepares reports as requested by the Office of Policy and Management and the Assessor.
- Assists in the preparation and administration of the Assessors budget.
- Provides general information to lawyers, land searchers, appraisers and the general public.
- Checks titles; prepares and reviews transfers.
- Performs clerical work for the Board of Tax Review.
- Handles routine correspondence, phone inquiries and incidental clerical duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, Skill & Ability)
This position requires a basic knowledge of business administration practices and specialized training or experience in Municipal assessment procedures. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with considerable tact and discretion is required. An ability to function with considerable initiative with ongoing direct supervision, in the planning and performance over broad range or areas in accordance with assessment policies and practices and applicable laws and regulations.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
Graduate of a business college, secretarial school, college preparatory school or equivalent and at least three (3) years in a responsible secretarial position or in lieu thereof, at least six (6) years experience in a responsible secretarial position in municipal government, law, real estate or closely related professional service agency.