Job Title: Assessor
Salary: 101,378 - $117,525
Hours: 4 day work week - Monday 8:00-4:30, Tuesday 8:00-5:00, Wednesday 8:00-4:30 & Thursday 8:00-7:00
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
4 day work week and the removal of the in-house revaluation requirement.
General Statement of Duties:
A highly responsible position involving planning, organizing, and directing a town wide program of real and personal property assessment for taxation purposes prescribed by the Connecticut General Statutes; performs related statutory duties.
Receives general direction from the Finance Officer. Works with considerable independence.
Directly supervises the Deputy Assessor, Administrative Technicians, and clerical staff in the functional areas of appraisal, assessment, and clerical duties. Plans and organizes work of office in accordance with charter and statutory deadlines.
Essential Job Functions:
- On a regular and continuing basis, supervises and leads in the valuing of taxable property to establish the Grand List.
- Administers the activities of the Office in the functional areas of appraisal, assessment, and recording of taxable and nontaxable property.
- Performs inspections of existing properties, improved properties, and properties under construction to determine value.
- Collect data on a timely basis from residential condominium complexes in compliance with the hydrant and streetlight reimbursement program.
- Maintains and updates information such as maps, drawings and records concerning land and land development, motor vehicles and personal properties that affect values.
- Projects estimated values of proposed building or commercial developments for planning purposes.
- Supervises maintenance of records and lists for absolute accuracy.
- Coordinates activities with Collector of Revenue and Town Clerk to assure uniformity in collection and recording of information.
- Supervises contracted appraisal services and revaluation services and is responsible for acceptance of contracted work; oversees and serves as liaison for GIS program; oversees, reviews and records authorized tax exemptions; administers elderly tax exemption programs for owners based on income and age eligibility requirements.
- Serves as principal spokesperson of town in litigation arising out of the assessment process.
- Prepares Request for Proposals (RFP) for programs under the purview of assessment.
- Prepares and submits office budget recommendations.
- Administers approved budget.
- Plans and implements new office procedures.
- Submits regular and annual reports to the State, Mayor, Town Administrator, Finance Officer and Town Council.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
Other Job Functions:
- Provides information and reports to other town departments, attorneys, and members of the public.
- Coordinates review of assessment appeals and serves as liaison between the Town and the Board of Assessment.
- Coordinates with Data Processing unit the updating and implementation of applications for office operations.
- Manages real estate CAMA system.
- Obtains additional training and education in appraisal and assessment laws and techniques and participates in professional organizations.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Thorough knowledge of the theory, principles, methods, and techniques of real and personal property valuation for assessment purposes; thorough knowledge and ability to interpret assessment law under Connecticut Statutes; knowledge of data processing applications pertaining to assessment methods.
- Ability to apply principles of assessment to solve practical problems; ability to lead and supervise staff; ability to foster relationships and deal effectively with officials, business owners, outside agencies, employees, and the general public; ability to train employees.
- Ability to initiate, organize and execute municipal assessment programs.
- Ability to read and interpret real estate maps; ability to prepare and publicly present reports in a clear and concise manner; ability to make accurate cost estimates; ability to develop and maintain a departmental budget; critical thinking skills with the ability to draw conclusions or approaches to problems to implement solutions; excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Must be computer proficient with the ability to learn software programs specific to the job. A Police background check will be required.
Experience & Training Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Real Estate or some closely related field and at least five (5) years of experience in real and personal property appraisal work, including two years of municipal assessment work with two years in a supervisory position.
- Relevant work experience in real and personal property appraisal work may be substituted for the above mentioned college training on a year for year basis.
- Certification by the Connecticut Association of Assessing Offices as a Certified Connecticut Assessor (CCMA) and/or certification by the International Association of Assessment offices as a Certified Assessment Evaluator (CAE).
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
This job description is not intended to be a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities which comprise this position. EOE/AA/M/F