Job Title: Assessor
Hours: 35 per week
Application Deadline: February 8, 2024; 4:00pm
Reporting to the First Selectman, this position is responsible for the evaluation and assessment of all taxable property within the town of Thomaston as well as the administration and supervision of all department functions. This position involves extensive field work, supervising staff, reviewing assessments, and ensuring department operations are current.
- Supervises the maintenance of all records pertaining to the assessment of real and personal property in the town.
- Conducts field checks of all real and personal property accounts including measuring and listing; appraises the same.
- Provides extensive public information regarding complaints arising from assessments; meets with taxpayers and resolves disputes; interprets property tax laws; makes final review and approves major technical decisions in all assessment program work.
- Keeps abreast of appraisal procedures, market trends and construction costs.
- Develops and administers departmental budget.
- Prepares estimates of town wide valuations for use by the Finance Committee for budge appropriations.
- Supervises Assessor Clerk in daily tasks, special project, and monitoring performance.
This position requires the use of a personal computer, standard office equipment and a motor vehicle. Administrative work will be performed in an office setting. In addition, this position may perform inspections outdoors and may be in any or all adverse conditions; including extreme hot and cold and hazardous conditions associated with construction sites.
Scope of Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Performance appraisals, work assignments, training & development,
- Monitors attendance, sick time coverage & vacations
- Documents & monitors disciplinary action
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL REQUIREMENTS, AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, and principles governing the assessment of property taxes.
- Ability to recognize and analyze factors which influence the value of properties.
- Must possess a valid Connecticut driver’s license
- Certification in CCMA I or II. CCMA II preferred
- BS in Business or Public Administration, specializing in property assessment desirable
Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in real ad property appraisal work.
The Town of Thomaston is an equal opportunity employer and encourages minorities, women and qualified individuals with disabilities to apply. The First Selectman, or designated representative, reserves the right to limit the number of applicants and to extend or shorten closing dates. Oral or written examinations may be utilized. Applications must be received by 4 pm of the closing date or postmarked on the closing date for the position.