Job Title: Assistant Assessor
Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Mon.-Thurs. and 8:00 am -1:00 pm Fri
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
The Town of Southbury is hiring a full-time Assistant Assessor. The position is 35 hours/week and offers a comprehensive benefits package. Salary range is $50,000-$60,000/year. This position provides responsible administrative and clerical assistance to the Assessor in the valuation of real estate, personal property and motor vehicles in preparation of the Grand List as set forth in the State Statutes.
- Assists with the valuing/assessment of all taxable and non-taxable real estate, motor vehicle and personal property to establish the Grand List, becoming proficient at computation, diagramming, deed reading, map reading and working with the CAMA and GIS systems.
- Responds to everyday inquiries from the general public, appraisers, real estate agents, attorneys, title searchers and other Town departments.
- Assists with the preparation, submission and filing of State mandated monthly and annual reports to the Office of Policy and Management, including sales ratios, elderly, disabled and veteran reimbursements and reports for State reimbursements.
- Receives applications for various local and State exemption and tax credit programs, including elderly, veterans and disabled residents. Must become skilled in computing applications according to State formulas and report results to individuals and required agencies.
- Receives applications for the Board of Appeals. Schedules appointments, prepares and files minutes. Notifies all parties of decisions.
- Updates the CAMA data base as part of assessment process. Assists with set up any new subdivisions and property splits in CAMA and GIS databases.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of property valuation and assessment, including large commercial and residential properties, State assessment laws, rules and regulations, and various assessment methods.
- Must understand and be able to explain assessment procedures, State Statutes and related information and requirements.
- Knowledge of computerized mass appraisal systems; knowledge of data processing techniques and applications in valuation and assessment administration.
- Ability to utilize data processing applications as they relate to the functions of the Assessor’s Office and to obtain and process data affecting tax exemptions.
- Ability to provide effective customer service and maintain positive working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Bachelor degree and minimum of three (3) years of related experience, preferably in a municipal setting. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
- Must be a Certified Connecticut Assessor I (CCMA I) or obtain certification within six (6) years of hire.
Deadline to Apply:
Position will remain open until filled.
Applications are available online. Please submit completed application and resume to Claire Morris, Finance & Human Resources Administrator, at email@example.com. They can also be returned to Fiscal Office, 501 Main Street South, Southbury, CT 06488.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer.