Town of Prospect
Job Title: Tax Clerk - Assessment & Tax
Salary: $20.00 per hour
Hours: 30 Hours per week; Mon– Fri, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Applications being accepted for Full Time Tax Clerk (Supporting the Tax Assessor & Tax Collector)
The Town of Prospect is seeking applications for the position of a full time Tax Clerk – Supporting the Tax Assessor and Tax Collector. This is a 30 hour per week union position (Monday – Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). Under the supervision and direction of the Tax Assessor and the Tax Collector, or the Assistant Tax Collector in the absence of the Tax Collector, the Tax Clerk is responsible for providing administrative and clerical assistance to both departments. Supervisor approval for requested personal and vacation time will be limited or not permitted during certain tax periods.
This is a technical, administrative position involving the planning and coordination of the town real estate and personal property assessments for the compilation of the Grand List; along with the municipal tax collection operations following specific CT Tax Collector / Assessor State Statutes. The Tax Assessor / Tax Collector Clerk will participate in the processing and collecting of Real Estate, Motor Vehicle, Motor Vehicle Supplement, Personal Property taxes, and Sewer User Fees, revaluations and related activities.
- Must hold a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Must have a minimum of one year experience working in a tax assessor or tax collector office
- Must have considerable knowledge of Connecticut State Statutes as they pertain to assessment and revenue collection policies and procedures
- Must have knowledge of assessment and tax collection software
- Must be able to pay close attention to detail
- Must be able to multi-task in a busy office environment
- Must have the ability to accurately add, subtract, multiply and divide using whole numbers and decimals
- Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office and be proficient working with Word, Excel and Outlook programs
- Must demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly and professionally verbally, in written letter, by telephone and email with the general public, state and local officials
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, administration and the general public
- Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as correspondence and procedure/instruction manuals.
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems as they pertain to the assessment and collection of taxes
- Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written and oral form
- Must have knowledge of general office work and experience which provides a demonstrated ability to perform the duties of the position
- Must have knowledge of various equipment used in an office environment including a computer, fax, typewriter, copier, calculator and telephone
- Must be able to complete assigned tasks in the time allotted
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time, stand and walk and use hands to operate office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and speak and hear clearly. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Other Skills and Requirements: Employee will be required to complete State Certification Courses CCMA 1A, CCMA 1B, CCMC 1A and CCMC 1B.
Starting Salary: 2022-2023 Budget approved at $20.00 per hour with applicable Town Benefits for full time employees according to UPSEU Unit 115 Prospect Municipal Employees contract.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls or drop ins.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.