Job Title: Supervisor of Assessment & Revenue Collection
Hours: Mon - Weds 8:00 am to 4:00 pm; Thurs 8:00 am to 7:00 pm; Fri 8:00 am to 12:00 pm
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Application Deadline Extended
The Town of Plainville is seeking an experienced candidate for the full-time position of Supervisor of Assessment and Revenue Collection. Candidates must be well informed and experienced with current and emerging laws of the State of Connecticut, assessment law and practices as they apply to municipal assessment. Under the general direction of the Director of Finance, the Supervisor of Assessment and Revenue Collection performs a range of administrative, technical, and managerial duties in management of the Assessor’s Office, the annual compilation, auditing and interpretation of the Grand List and the assessment of personal property in the Town of Plainville. This individual acts as the Assessor in duties outlined by the Connecticut General Statutes and Town Charter, including the signing of the Grand List. Plans and directs an annual tax/sewer billing and collection strategy.
The Town of Plainville is home to 17,516 residents, covers an area of 9.8 square miles and is located in Hartford County, midway between New Britain and Bristol, and 14 miles southwest of Hartford. The Town has a diverse business base, three elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Plainville has a town manager-town council form of government.
Our ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, accounting, or a closely related field in addition to courses in assessment, collection, and related fields. Must be a Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor II. Municipal Collection certification preferred or ability to become certified as a Connecticut Municipal Collector within five years. Minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in the assessment or tax collection field. Not less than two (2) of those years’ experience shall be in a supervisory capacity.
Under general direction of the Director of Finance, position performs a range of administrative, technical and managerial duties in management of the Assessor’s Office, the annual compilation, auditing and interpretation of the Grand List and the assessment of all new of modified real and personal property in the Town of Plainville, as required and supervises the collection of those real and personal property taxes and other Town revenues by the Revenue Collector. Acts as the Assessor in duties outlined by the Connecticut General Statutes and Town Charter, including the signing of the Grand List. Plans and directs an annual tax/sewer billing and collection strategy. Also serves as the municipal aircraft registration official for the Plainville jurisdiction for the State of Connecticut.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises the functions of the Assessor/Revenue Office, assigned personnel and facilities. Provides technical assistance to subordinates.
- Supervises the collection of monies (this position does not handle any actual money) owed the Town for taxes, interest, liens, sewer assessments, sewer usage charges and other revenue.
- Evaluates current collection practices and data processing arrangements and prepares procedural or administrative changes. Provides for public access to public records in a timely and efficient manner.
- Oversees the valuation of all property in Plainville. Personally inspects real and personal property for initial or revised evaluation. Discovers lists and values all real estate, business personal property, motor vehicles and aircraft within the Town. Prepare and verify assessment lists.
- Performs necessary investigations of records, transfers, and similar data to ensure compliance with appropriate regulations.
- Ensures that the Grand List is completed in a timely fashion. Makes arrangements for processing of all Grand List and tax records.
- Interprets any records, lists, maps, etc. for other Town officials or the general public, as they relate to assessments. Provides technical assistance, information and assistance to the general public. Investigates complaints and problems; makes appropriate recommendations for solutions.
- May hear and make recommendations on grievances filed by employees within the divisions of Assessment and Collection. Provides assistance, as required, in negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
- Appears in Court on the Town’s behalf in assessment/value or collection cases.
- May prepare estimates of property values for use by Town staff in the process of Town real estate transactions.
- Processes and administers all programs and required reports for the state government including elderly, veterans, renters and all valuation reports and reimbursement programs as well as the aircraft and manufacturers program. Prepares statistical reports for submission to state and Federal governments. Prepare and maintain all necessary records, maps and other materials as required by state and local statutes.
- Assists elderly owners/renters with applications for tax relief, as required by statute.
- Coordinates Assessment and Collection news, promotional releases, tax billing and assessment notification schedules.
- Prepares annual operating budget, annual report and other required documents for the divisions of Assessment and Collection.
- Complies with all proper safety procedures and regulations and ensures that everyone in the department follows proper safety procedures and regulations.
- Treats other employees, and any others with whom there is contact, with courtesy, respect and professionalism.
- Attend various meetings.
- Performs related duties as necessary and/or as assigned.
Completed applications and resume should be sent to The Town Hall, c/o Human Resources, One Central Square, Plainville, CT 06062. Visit our website for an application: www.plainvillect.com
The closing date for applications is May 4, 2022. The anticipated start date of the position is June 20, 2022.
Equal Opportunity Employer