Job Title: Deputy Assessor
Salary: $62,097 - $65,965
Hours: M-F 8:30 - 4:30
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
A person in this position, under the general supervision of the Tax Assessor, performs highly responsible administrative and complex technical work involving assessment of real and personal property and motor vehicles by established appraisal methods which require the application of initiative and considerable independent judgement. Perform all duties of the Tax Assessor in their absence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and prioritizes the activities of the assessment office including functional areas of valuation, property records, public information and operations support
- Assists in the review and analysis of tax appeals for disposition and gather pertinent back up regarding action taken
- Evaluates data entered into the CAMA system for accuracy; reviews deed books for ownership transfers for accuracy
- Review monthly work folders; updating Vision property record cards as needed
- Runs Exemption and FFOS reports for annual reminder notices, process exemption applications
- Review all land cut worksheets to create new subdivisions, condo developments and lot combinations; update CAMA PRC cards with changes, review that map changes are correct
- Run monthly/weekly building permit reports and oversee that all are entered into l building permits in CAMA system by clerical staff.
- Perform all field inspections for permits; verifying data and updating the CAMA system property cards; adjusting the sketch and other details as needed
- Assist with the processing of Tangible Property returns; analyzing, verifying and entering data submitted. Maintain Business List in both CAMA and Munis systems
- Calculates the Proration bill for new construction that is completed prior to end of the calendar year.
- Sketching of all new construction, additions etc. from plans filed in the E-permitting software; verify measurements and all construction data in a field review of permit/CO issued
- Assists in the processing of the motor vehicle roll if applicable
- Performs accounting and auditing procedures related to assessments
- Runs necessary reports in both the Vision CAMA system and Munis Tax administration system to assist in the certification of the tax roll
Education and Experience
Graduation from a four-year college or university supplemented with additional courses in tax assessment or appraisal and four (4) years of increasingly responsible related experience in a tax assessment office or an equivalent combination of education and experience. RICAP designation preferred and must be obtained within one year of employment.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of office management procedures, practices and systems.
- Thorough knowledge of computer applications in the Windows environment including the use of Word and Excel.
- Experience required in Vision CAMA and Munis Tax Administration software.
- The ability to read deeds, orient and understand maps and drawings.
- Experience in field inspections including listing and measuring required.
- The ability to sketch from blueprints into the CAMA system preferred.
- Candidates possessing a thorough knowledge of appropriate laws, regulations, and procedures that apply to the assessment of real and personal property and motor vehicles are preferred.
Attractive benefit plan includes: BCBS Health and Delta Dental insurance plans. Retirement systems: ERSRI and TIAA. Paid time off includes vacation, sick and family sick. Life Insurance, Wellness benefits. Optional benefit plans available: flexible spending account, short and long term disability, 457 retirement plans.
North Kingstown, RI 02852