Job Title: Tax Assessor
Salary: $95,000 - $105,000
Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Salary Range updated 8/2/2021
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under the administrative direction of the First Selectman, directs and administers the activities and statutory responsibilities of the Assessor’s Office. Oversees and participates in the valuation and assessment of real estate, personal property and Motor Vehicles for taxation purposes as prescribed by General Statutes Chapter 203, Property Tax Assessment and other pertinent State Statutes, Town Charter and Town Ordinance #26A (as attached). Is responsible for the supervision of the value determination and the endorsement of the Town of Newtown Grand List.
Supervises the Deputy Assessor and other support staff.
- Administer, directs and participates in the activities of the Assessor’s Office in the functional areas of appraisal, classification, and recording of taxable and non-taxable property as legally required.
- Supervises and participates in determining the value of all taxable and non-taxable real estate and taxable personal property to compile the annual Grand List.
- Conducts physical inspection and reinspection of existing properties, improved property, and properties under construction to determine their value.
- Prepares specifications for bidding periodic property revaluation’s, both full physical and non-physical as called for by State Statutes and OPM regulations and supervising the timely completion of same.
- Compiles, maintains and analyzes complex statistical data to insure equity in assessments.
- Projects estimated values of proposed buildings for commercial developments for planning purposes and per requests of Town officials.
- Resolves complaints relating to assessments and makes adjustments as warranted.
- Maintains accurate property title records and oversees records relating to ownership, sale and value of land and improvements.
- Supervises the preparation, installation and maintenance of property tax maps working with the Town’s GIS system.
- Works closely with the G.I.S. Coordinator for accurate parcel maps.
- Reviews claims for exemptions for conformance to state statutes and records authorized tax exemptions and deductions.
- Prepares and administers operating budget for department.
- Oversees and coordinates contracted revaluation services and is responsible for acceptance of completed work and recommends the need for, and selection of private appraisal services.
- Serves as ex-officio member of the Board of Tax Assessment Appeals and other boards.
- Submits oral and written reports to State and Town officials and consults with same on assessment related matters.
- Obtains additional training and education in appraisal and assessment laws and techniques
- Performs related work as directed or required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE. SKILL AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of the modern theories, principles and practice of property evaluation and assessment.
- Thorough knowledge of, and the ability to interpret laws, rules, and regulations governing the valuation, assessment, and exemption of real and personal property.
- Thorough knowledge of CAMA system and applications in valuation and assessment administration.
- Must be computer proficient and familiar with data processing applications.
- Knowledge of the Statutory Requirements of the Assessor’s Office. Knowledge of local property values and construction costs.
- Ability to plan and prioritize department operations to meet established statutory deadlines
- Ability to deal effectively with Town and State officials, agents, appraisers, and the general public.
Connecticut Certification for Municipal Assessor. (CCMA 1 or CCMA 11)
College degree with at least one year experience in municipal assessment or not less than five years employment in the appraisal or assessment of real or personal property including at least 2 years of municipal assessment and appraisal. Must have at least one year supervising a major assessment function.
Town of Newtown – Human Resources
3 Primrose Street
Newtown, Connecticut 06470
Click here for employment application and additional information
EEO/Affirmative Action Employer
The Town of Newtown’s Charter (section 4-15) defines this position as appointed with a “term of office”. It is a 4-year term and the current term of office will expire on February 28, 2024 at which time the town has the option to re-appoint the assessor if they so choose.