Job Title: Assessor Clerk III
Salary: $22.49/HR ($23.00 once new contract signed)
Hours: Full Time Union Position
Application Deadline: October 15, 2021; 4:30 pm
NATURE OF WORK: The Assessor Clerk III performs responsible and confidential, technical field and office work assisting the Assessor in performing all the activities of the Assessor’s office. Work involves making routine office decisions in accordance with established procedures, the exercise of independent judgment, initiative, and flexibility.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT INCLUSIVE OF ALL DUTIES)
- Assists in classifying, summarizing, and recording all assessment and administrative transactions in the Town’s appraisal and administrative computer systems
- Utilizes a CAMA system for logging, filing and inputting data into the appraisal and administrative computer systems. Utilizes word processing, database and/or spreadsheet software
- Assists the Assessor in 1)revising records relating to taxpayers’ addresses and property ownership and 2) administering the elderly tax-relief programs
- Performs general administration duties. Provides information to other members of the public, attorneys, and Town Departments. Responds to general information inquiries and complaints, directing unusual inquiries and/or concerns to the appropriate official. Receives and screens telephone calls in a polite and knowledgeable manner. Greets visitors and determines the nature and purpose of the visit. Takes accurate messages , as needed
- Works with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) computerized system and, as such, must be highly ethical and able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Reviews and records authorized tax exemptions
- Receives applications for the elderly homeowners program and other programs for an exemption program and/or tax credit
- Participates in professional organizations to remain current in the assessment profession
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this position
- Cross-trained to assist in the Tax Collector’s office
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE – Graduation from high school or GED equivalent plus one (1) year progressively experience in office administration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES – Ability to balance a spread sheet and knowledge how to prepare and detect errors; skilled in the operation of the following tools and equipment: tape measure, personal computer (typing), calculator, phone, copy machine, fax, scanner, and computerized property appraisal system; ability to complete forms neatly and compile results; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; ability to work accurately with names, numbers, colors, codes and/or symbols; ability to perform work with interruptions; ability to perform work promptly with attention to detail and accuracy; ability to learn laws and regulations pertaining to assigned work; ability to prioritize and organize work; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with State and Federal Officers, town officials, residents, and other departments and co-workers.
SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND MEDICAL/DRUG SCREENING ARE MANDATORY CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT. TOWN OF MONTVILLE IS AN EOE.
Full job description available in the Mayor’s office, 310 Norwich-New London Turnpike. Applications must be submitted to the Mayor’s Office.
PLEASE CALL 860-848-6701 WITH QUESTIONS.
Application may be downloaded and then mailed or dropped off to the Mayor’s Office from the TownofMontville.org website under Human Resources, then “Employment Opportunities.”