Job Title: Assessor
Salary: $42.70 - $46.09/hour
Hours: 25 hours per week
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
The Assessor creates and maintains a database of value for Real and Personal Property, and Motor Vehicles in order to compile the Grand List for the purpose of levying local property taxes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to accurately list, record, and maintain value for Real and Personal Property, including Motor Vehicles, using accepted valuation practices.
- Applies exemptions, prepares sales study reports, records property transfers, makes changes to the abstract database, prepares sketches of main structures and computes value/assessment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the general public including attorneys, real estate agents, town and state employees, and others, by phone, in person or through correspondence
- Ability to read, locate and update properties on Assessor GIS maps
- Update real property for transfers of ownership, corrections, assessment changes, etc.
- Assign addresses to new homes or subdivisions; notifies owners of assessment increases
- Creates certificates of corrections as necessary
- Supervise a revaluation of all real property as prescribed in the Connecticut General Statutes
- Accept and process applications for State and local tax exemptions for the elderly, disabled, blind, and Veterans
- Prepares and submits the Assessor’s Abstract and all other required reports and data to the State of Connecticut as required by Connecticut General Statutes.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum five years of experience working in a municipal assessor’s office.
- Certification from the state Office of Policy & Management as a Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor (CCMA) I or II.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: CT Driver’s License; familiarity with Microsoft Office, Quality Data Admin and Vision CAMA helpful. Knowledge of Excel, a plus.
BENEFITS: This position is 25 hours/week; schedule of hours is negotiable. Union position with benefits: vacation, paid holidays and sick time.
For more information, please contact Judi Rand, Executive Assistant to the First Selectman, at 860 349-7114; or submit a cover letter and resume to Judi Rand, Executive Asst. to the First Selectman, Town of Middlefield, 399 Jackson Hill Rd., Middlefield, CT 06455-1240.
Deadline for applications is May 24, 2021.