Town of Manchester
Job Title: Director of Assessment
Salary: $100,000 -$115,000
Hours: 37.50 hours/week; Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Application Deadline: February 17, 2023; 4:30 pm
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under general direction of the Director of Finance, directs and participates in a continuing program of assessing real and personal property in the Town for purposes of taxation as prescribed by Statute. Acts as the Assessor in duties outlined by the Connecticut General Statutes and Town Charter, including the signing of the Grand List. Plans and directs an annual preparation of the grand list.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge and experience in estimating real and personal property values for assessment purposes.
- Considerable knowledge of modern theories, principles, methods, and techniques for the collection and recording and the handling of cash.
- Considerable knowledge of the laws governing the valuation, assessment, and exemption of real and personal property, and with collection of the taxes related to such values.
- Knowledge of local property values and construction costs.
- Ability to make technical computations and to draw land sketches.
- Ability to obtain and analyze data affecting property value and to make impartial and consistent estimates based on such data.
- Ability to schedule, assign and supervise the work of subordinates.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with town, state and federal officials and the public.
- Ability to express oneself clearly both orally and in writing.
- Considerable knowledge of computer techniques and their applications in valuation and assessment administration.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Public Administration or related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in real and personal property assessment including two (2) years supervising a major assessment or Associate’s Degree or equivalent in related field and five (5) years’ experience in real and personal property assessment including two (2) years’ supervising a major assessment function. Bilingual preferred but not required.
- Suitable experience may be substituted for educational attainment if deemed appropriate by the General Manager or his designee.
- Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor certification required.
EXAMINATION MAY CONSIST OF: Parts Weight Passing Score Oral Panel 100% 70%. Applications and job description are available on our website at https://www.manchesterct.gov/EmploymentOpportunities.
Applications must be received in the Human Resources Department by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, February 17, 2023 or must be postmarked by Friday, February 17, 2023. No faxed or e-mailed resumes and/or applications will be accepted.