Job Title: Assistant to the Assessor
Salary: $21.47 per hour ($39,075 per year)
Hours: 35 per week
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
NATURE OF WORK:
The Assistant provides supportive clerical and administrative services to the Assessor by assisting in the valuation of all real estate, business, personal property and motor vehicles within the town in order to generate the grand list. Assist the public and town departments with assessment information.
Supervised by the Tax Assessor
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: NIA
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the maintenance of the records including assessment cards and property maps used for assessment.
- Assists the public with questions about property assessments, accept applications for exemptions and explain exemption requirements.
- Prepare and maintain all Local and State Exemption Programs, including Veterans, Blind, Disabled, Homeowners, and Freeze, in addition to Soldier’s and Sailor’s, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe and its members housed on the reservation.
- Establish values of all unpriced motor vehicles on the regular and supplemental grand lists each year using pricing guides as recommended by the state.
- Responsible for managing all pro-rates processed pertaining to motor vehicles.
- Perform field inspections and investigations as assigned by the Assessor.
- Able to measure, list and value real estate properties, including recording and sketching in a CAMA system.
- Observe the strictest confidentiality with maintenance of restricted files and information while still providing high quality service to the public and other town departments.
- Prepare department correspondence and perform other duties of a clerical nature as directed by the Assessor.
- Responsible for day to day operations of the Department when Tax Assessor is out of the office.
- Organizes and determines priority of work in conjunction with supervisor.
- Works autonomously, evaluates and recommends office procedures or devises new forms to improve efficiency of workflow in the Department.
**** The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. ****