Job Title: Assessment Technician
Salary: $34.79 - $48.04 per hour
Hours: Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
General Statement of Duties
Assists the Assessor and appraisal staff in the research and valuation and transfers of real estate, personal property and motor vehicles, making independent valuation decisions related to personal property and motor vehicles. Position reports to the Assessor.
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business, real estate, economics, government, or related discipline; plus three (3) years of related experience in tax assessment and/or related research.
SPECIAL NECESSARY QUALIFICATIONS:
Must be certified by the State of Connecticut as a CCMA I within four (4) years of appointment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge of State statutes related to personal property, motor vehicle valuation, and real estate as well as of property taxation laws.
- Proven ability in using Crystal Reports, Excel, and Word along with the ability to learn assessment-related software including GIS (ESRI ArcView), CAMA (ProVal), Administrative Assessment System (Quality Data).
- Demonstrated ability to interpret real estate listing cards, personal property declarations and motor vehicle documents and to compute personal property accounts properly with related exemptions and penalties.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret deeds and correctly indicate lot line changes.
- Proven ability to make defensible valuation decisions based on an analysis of information collected from various sources.
- Demonstrated ability to compose correspondence to property owners related to assessment issues.
- Proven ability to work independently and to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to work effectively, tactfully and courteously with officials, administrators, professionals, colleagues, and the general public.
- Reviews and analyzes all real estate sales during each assessment year; classifies all sales assessment ratio data to conform to State of Connecticut Office of Policy & Management sales ratio codes.
- Reviews and verifies ownership changes and ensures accurate entry of deed related information into the Administrative system.
- Processes lot line changes resulting from lot merges and splits and ensures proper entry into existing software systems.
- Assists with processing annual filings of income and expense statements and business personal property declarations for valuation; independently verifies reported information.
- Researches deeds and related mapping changes and inquiries.
- Responds to the public’s requests for information regarding personal property, motor vehicle valuation and lot line boundary issues, handling inquires professionally and in a timely manner.
- Reviews personal property accounts, inquiries, discovery and valuation. Assists the Commercial/Personal Property Appraiser in handling the valuation and review of all declarations filed annually. Processes new accounts discovered from field canvassing, trade name filings in the Clerk’s Office, and other sources. Maintains informational file on pending, questionable and audited accounts or unusual situations requiring further review.
- Conducts valuation of unpriced motor vehicles, referring to trade pricing services, state motor vehicle department codings, and statutes related to prorations. Processes and maintains file of transfers to other jurisdictions and appropriate notifications. Ensures the accuracy of certificates of correction related to prorations of motor vehicles prepared by support staff personnel.
- Checks accuracy of work entered into the database by support personnel related to real estate, motor vehicles, personal property and income and expense statements.
- Performs related work as required.
All positions may be subject to an interview process. The Town reserves the right to limit the number of qualified candidates who will be invited to participate in the examination, or any part thereof.
All outside candidates will be required to undertake and successfully pass a pre-employment medical examination, which includes a substance abuse test, given at the Town’s expense prior to employment if conditionally offered a part time, full time or safety sensitive position.
The Town of Greenwich has implemented a policy of background investigations all full and part time positions prior to hiring as part of the reference checking procedures for outside candidates. The investigation will only be conducted as the last step prior to an offer. Refusal to sign the release form will terminate the candidate’s further consideration.
- Town of Greenwich, 101 Field Point Road, Greenwich, Connecticut, 06830
- Assessment Technician | Job Details tab | Career Pages (governmentjobs.com)