Job Title: Assessor I
Salary: $61,815 to $76,767 (Salary Grade 6; 7 with CCMA I or II)
Hours: 40/week (Monday - Friday, 8:30 am 4:30 pm)
Application Deadline: April 2, 2024
This position is under the immediate supervision of the Assessor. The Assessor or the Deputy Assessor or may assign work to this position. The position will be responsible for managing a portion of the residential real estate, performing property inspections and appraisal work and determining values of land, residential buildings, and other improvements for tax assessment purposes. This position also has clerical and administrative responsibilities in coordination with the Lead Assessor Technician to support
the activities of the Assessor’s office and includes regular interaction with the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Make inspections of old, new, and partly constructed buildings for the purpose of gathering assessment data and/ or gathers information through the use of plans,
specifications, site visits and or aerial imagery, analyzing that information, and determining property market value. May be assigned specific tasks on larger, more complex properties or for special projects.
- Measures buildings to compute their area or content.
- Studies building plans, specifications, and sales information to determine size, type of construction, and other factors which affect property values; verifies information on
property sales; determines conformance to filed plans and specifications.
- Completes appropriate forms, checklists, reports, and notes of information found, analysis performed, and determination reached
- Assists in maintaining current assessment maps
- Assists in the preparation of information for appeals.
- Completes appropriate forms, checklists, reports, and notes of information for appeals.
- Assists in canvassing the town for new businesses
- Assists in the valuation of personal property and motor vehicles
- Receives and screens visitors and phone calls providing information where possible.
- Uses the Town’s Quality Data and Vision systems (with training).
- Uses Microsoft Office software products
- Processes benefits claims, requests for adjustments and other clerical tasks as needed.
- Performs other related duties as requested
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic knowledge of building construction practices
- Basic knowledge of mathematical methods and techniques used to determine shape, size, and area of structures or parcels of land
- Ability to determine property value for assessment purposes from information gathered
- Ability to learn, determine, secure and apply factors affecting residential and agricultural property values.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, property owners and the public
- Ability to perform in a courteous and professional manner at all times
- Ability to express oneself succinctly and professionally, both orally and in writing
- Proficiency in computer software and report writing skills, specifically in MS Word and Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license
- Two (2) years’ experience working in a municipal assessor’s office
- Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor (CCMA I or II) designation
- Certified Residential or General Real Estate Appraiser
- Proficient in Excel, Outlook and Word
Fairfield, CT. 06824
Contact information should you have any general employment opportunity questions:
THE TOWN OF FAIRFIELD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Town of Fairfield to ensure equal employment opportunity for all employees and to prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or physical and mental disability.