Town of Enfield
Job Title: Assistant Assessor
Salary: $65,000 - $75,000
Hours: Mon - Fri, 9 am-5 pm
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Salary Range updated
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
This position is responsible in assisting the Assessor in planning, organizing and directing the activities and statutory responsibilities within the Town of Enfield; Town wide real and personal property assessments in accordance with the General Statutes. May act as Assessor in the Assessor’s absence.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the direction of the Assessor or his/her designee.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises clerical staff as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in the administration of assessments, organizes and directs in the Assessment of all types of properties.
- Appraises and evaluates residential properties; measures and lists real property by performing data collection on all real property; ensures completeness and accuracy of all certificates of correction, prices various motor vehicles;
- May assist with pricing for accounts on the Business Personal Property List;
- Assists in defending assessments of improvements on a yearly basis;
- Receives complaints and makes recommendations concerning abatements;
- Supervises record keeping of the office; shares in the responsibility of general decennial revaluation;
- Assists in the completion of forms and examines same for compliance and accuracy; supervises or completes transfers and record keeping of the office of recorded documents;
- Assists Assessor in preparation of yearly grand list (under the supervision of the Assessor).
- Assist the public, attorneys, bank personnel and realtors
- Regular & punctual attendance.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in the completion of forms and examines the same for legal compliance concerning tax exemption programs;
- Performs related work as required.
- Assists in the various daily functions required in the Assessment office to comply with the Connecticut General Statutes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
- Thorough understanding of economic principles which command market value;
- Good understanding of the Cost, Direct Sales, and Income Approaches to value;
- Thorough knowledge of appraisal technique;
- Knowledge of construction materials, quality of construction and design along with their effects on value; considerable knowledge of the theory, principles, methods and techniques of real and personal property evaluation for assessment purposes;
- Considerable ability in the analysis of and solution to administrative and assessment related problems and the development of data and recommendations influencing policy;
- Knowledge of the basic principles of accounting and ability to apply accounting principles in the field of municipal assessment;
- Thorough knowledge of Connecticut General Statutes pertaining to Assessment Law and implementation of such.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and with the public.
- Knowledge of modern office methods; equipment and practices; including the utilization of data processing; ability to plan; organize and supervise the work of clerical subordinates.
- High School Graduate.
- Must have at least 2 years’ experience in discovery, listing, and valuing real and all personal property, as well as all other areas of the assessment office.
- Familiar with CAMA system, preferably with the “Vision Appraisal Technology” CAMA system. The completion of the required courses and receive a Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor Certification (CCMA) designation within 6 years of employment to the position.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Apply online at www.enfield-ct.gov
The Human Resources Department provides reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Department.