Job Title: Assessor's Assistant
Salary: $19.30/ hour
Hours: 35 hours per week
Application Deadline: March 12, 2021
The Town of Easton is accepting applications for the position of Assessor’s Assistant.
The position requires varied clerical, technical and administrative assistance to the Assessor. Assists in preparing Real Estate, Personal Property and Motor Vehicle Grand Lists on an annual basis.
Example of Duties:
The following duties are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist the public on all aspects of the Assessor’s Office. Works with and assists the public and town departments responding to queries regarding the Grand List, assessments, exemptions, tax relief programs, etc. Collects and compiles data necessary to answer inquiries or unusual or complicated issues and assessments for the Assessor.
- Performs all clerical duties for the Assessor’s Office. Be familiar with new legislation, laws and regulations pertaining to the Assessor’s Office.
- Assists Assessor with Board of Assessment Appeals application requests by taxpayers.
- Maintains and updates ownership information to real estate records compiled from Town Clerk’s records.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of the Motor Vehicle Grand List. Processes Certificate of Corrections and Pro-Rates for taxpayers.
- Assists the Assessor in discovery and maintenance of Personal Property Lists and Declarations.
- Maintains accurate account of veterans, blind and totally disabled exemptions for taxpayers. Prepares, processes, and assists elderly applicants with Homeowners’ and Additional Veteran’s State Tax Relief Benefit.
- Assists with the Elderly Town Tax Relief Benefit. Annually prepares and maintains a list of elderly homeowners.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to transact and communicate effectively with the public, taxpayers, superiors, peers and co-workers. Ability to handle sensitive, confidential matters with tact and courtesy and impartiality.
- Skilled in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office programs as well as the ability to learn and adequately use industry-specified and specialized software.
- Knowledge of general office procedures, ability to multi-task and maintain accurate records. Ability to compile and analyze pertinent data affecting assessment.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of real estate appraisal and assessment. Knowledge of land, building and personal property values. Knowledge of the Connecticut General Statutes as they pertain to assessment and taxation of property.
Experience and Training:
High school graduate or the equivalent and two (2) years of experience in an office environment. Preferred experience in the other related municipal departments or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides a demonstrated potential for performing the duties of the position. Must be willing to attend job related training and educational programs.
Starting pay is $19.30 per hour. This is full time (35 hours/week) Union position with benefits. Work hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Christine Calvert at firstname.lastname@example.org.