Job Title: Assistant Assessor
Salary: Starting salary is $27.56 per hour, $29.09 after 6 months and $30.62 after one year
Hours: 35 hours per week
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Application Deadline Changed
A full-time union position is available in the Assessor’s Department. This is a 35 hour per week position and the starting salary is $27.56 per hour.
Application and job description are available in the First Selectman’s Office, 11 Rye Street, Broad Brook, CT 06016 and on the Town’s website www.eastwindsorct.com.
Open until Filled. M/F EOE
- Assist the Assessor in planning, organizing, and administering the activities and the statutory responsibilities of the Assessment office.
- Assume responsibility of the day-to-day operations of the Assessor’s office in the absence of the Assessor.
- Assists in valuation of all property (personal, motor vehicle & real) to establish the Grand List.
- Oversee the activities of the office through subordinates in the functional areas of classification and recording of property.
- Conducts inspections of existing properties, improved properties, and properties under construction to determine value of properties.
- Accomplishes field work inspections related to personal property and motor vehicles.
- Maintain and update information concerning land, motor vehicles and personal property.
- Oversee the maintenance of strict confidentiality relating to restricted files and records.
- Assists in organizing and conducting special studies to assure continuing equity of assessments.
- Review and record authorized tax exemptions.
- Provide technical assistance and information to other Town departments, attorneys, appraisers and members of the public.
- Oversee clerical administrative staff.
- Creates assessments of property.
- Prorates assessments to new properties after construction is completed.
- Assists in administering the approved budget.
The above noted duties are not all inclusive. Additional duties may occur as needed for the proper operation of the department. The above noted duties also vary throughout the year due to deadlines and/or projects.
SUPERVISED BY: Assessor
- The skills and knowledge required would generally be acquired with an Associate’s Degree in Business and/or Accounting and at least three years of municipal assessment experience; or
- A minimum of five years of municipal experience (including computer-assisted mass appraisal work) and working knowledge of the principles and practices of real and personal property appraisal work.
- Pursue Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor I (CCMA I) certification within 24 months from date of hire.
- Must have a Connecticut Motor Vehicles Operator’s License.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of State Statutes in interpreting deeds, property subdivision, elderly and veteran’s tax exemptions and assessment-related flaws to offer property interpretations to the general public, title searchers, attorneys and appraisers.
- Knowledge of property assessment laws and issues.
- Ability to interpret real estate listing cards, personal property declarations, and motor vehicle forms.
- Ability to compute assessment pro-rations for real estate, motor vehicle and personal property accounts.
- Ability to operate computer software related to computer assisted mass appraisal to real estate, listings and depreciation of personal property, maintenance of data files and valuation of motor vehicles.
- Skilled in the ability to use a personal computer for work processing and spreadsheet operations as well as other office equipment.
- Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and harmoniously with the public, professionals and other employees.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT OPERATION: Requires the use of a motor vehicle, cellular phones, landline phones, and computer with the use of Microsoft Office, standard and map copiers, facsimile machines, calculators, and other standard office equipment.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK: This is a full-time, 35 hours per week, union position. The hours are Monday through Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.