Job Title: Assessor - Shared Services Position
Salary: $70,000 - $75,000
Hours: 40 hours/week
Application Deadline: June 1, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
The Towns of Bolton, Marlborough and Willington are accepting applications for a full-time Assessor that will split their time between the three locations. Interested candidates must be certified as a Connecticut Municipal Assessor.
- Establishes and records the assessed valuations of real, personal and motor vehicle property; performs inspections and interviews property owners of existing properties, improved properties and properties under construction to determine value; and reviews and compiles field cards, abstract cards and related records.
- Maintains assessment maps, records and lists, and updates maps by drawing land splits, new subdivisions, etc.
- Prepares and continually updates grand list; appraises property to obtain true market value; reviews local and state sales rates to maintain equalization; and mails related materials to persons and businesses subject to personal property assessment.
- Prepares Request for Proposals (RFP) for programs under the purview of assessment; supervises contracted appraisal and revaluation services and responsible for acceptance of contracted work; oversight and implementation of authorized tax exemptions
- Administers elderly benefits for all relevant programs
- Receives and responds to tax payers’ inquiries regarding assessments and programs.
- Serves as liaison/Town appraisal expert to the Board of Assessment Appeals and works collaboratively with the Town Attorney to represent the town in litigation arising out of the assessment process.
- Prepares and submits annual budget recommendations; administers approved budget, and prepares and submits local and state reports as necessary.
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports for the Administrative Officer, First Selectmen, Board of Selectmen and Board of Finance as requested.
Examples of Incidental Duties:
- Prepares information and reports for the public, media and Town officials and staff regarding activities of the office.
- Manages real estate CAMA system and updates to GIS and tax maps.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Thorough knowledge of the theory, principles, methods, and techniques of real and personal property valuation for assessment purposes
- Thorough knowledge and ability to interpret assessment law under Connecticut Statutes
- knowledge of data processing applications pertaining to assessment methods.
- Ability to apply principles of assessment to solve practical problems;
- Ability to lead and supervise staff; ability to foster relationships and deal effectively with officials, business owners, outside agencies, employees, and the general public; ability to train employees.
- Ability to initiate, organize and execute municipal assessment programs.
- Ability to read and interpret real estate maps; ability to prepare and publicly present reports in a clear and concise manner; ability to make accurate cost estimates;
- Ability to develop and maintain a departmental budget;
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to draw conclusions or approaches to problems to implement solutions;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Must be computer proficient with the ability to learn software programs specific to the job.
- Ability to work independently.
Minimum Qualifications Required: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Real Estate, Public Administration, or some closely related field and at least four (4) years progressively responsible experience in a municipal assessor’s office or property assessment work with experience with CAMA or similar mass appraisal software. Supervisory experience. Any equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience which demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be substituted for the above mentioned college education.
License and Certificate: Certification as a Connecticut Municipal Assessor. A Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator’s license or ability to obtain one.
Physical Exertion/Environmental Conditions: Performs duties primarily in an office environment. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform essential job functions. Duties require sitting and walking around; talking and hearing; using hands to finger, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls; and reaching with hands and arms. Exposure to computer screen. Some stress involved in public contact. Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Vision ability includes close vision and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions including wet and/or humid conditions.
Please visit www.town.boltonct.org/employment to view the full job description and obtain an application.