Job Title: City Assessor
Salary: $100,000 - $125,000
Hours: Mon - Fri 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Application Deadline: Open until Sufficient applications received
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Directs the operations of the Assessor’s Office through an Assistant Assessor and staff and administers and evaluates assessment activities such as discovery of taxable property, real property valuation, determination of property ownership, preparation of the grand list and statutory 5-year revaluation
- Assists and advises assessment analysts on unusual or complicated assessments
- Manages (Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal) CAMA system through an Assistant Assessor, staff and a contracted services provider
- Manages various office contracts including but not limited to the CAMA system provider contract, the contract for identification of motor vehicles not properly registered in the City and other appraiser consultant contracts
- Coordinates computerization of assessment data recording
- Develops building cost manuals and formulas for property assessment and instructs staff in their use
- Analyzes and values residential, commercial, and industrial property by computing replacement costs or analyzing financial statements, market trends and income; Prepares annual reports for State and City
- Keeps abreast of appraisal procedures, market trends and construction costs; Keeps abreast of state assessment laws as well as proposed and adopted changes with each State legislative session
- Interprets and applies newly enacted legislation impacting assessment and taxation
- Responds to taxpayers’ inquiries regarding assessments and programs available to them
- Maintains close liaison with Tax Department and other municipal departments to perfect a timely grand list
- Supervises the preparation, installation and maintenance of City property identification maps
- Supervises staff training programs
- Prepares department budget, statistical and other reports
- Assists in personnel actions such as hiring, termination and performance evaluation
- Performs other related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of real and personal property evaluation for assessment purposes
- Thorough knowledge of pertinent laws applicable to the assessing of real and personal property and ability to interpret and apply current laws and newly enacted legislation;
- Skills in evaluating residential, industrial, commercial and other properties
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of the Assessor’s Office
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials and the general public
- Knowledge of Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) system
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS), statistical software systems and related assessment administration computer applications
- Administrative ability to organize and follow through on municipal assessment programs.
- Ability to supervise and train employees.
- Ability to travel independently between work locations sometimes on a daily basis
- Ability to move throughout buildings or surrounding properties in order to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to deal effectively with members of the public, attorneys, real estate developers, construction personnel and property owners
- Ability to present ideas and policies to the administration and other municipal stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Accounting, finance, economics, or closely related field
- Seven (7) years of progressive responsible experience in real and personal property appraisal, two years of which include appraisal of industrial and commercial properties
- Three (3) years of management & supervisor experience in an Assessors office preferred
- Certification of Connecticut Certified Municipal Assessor designation or ability to become a Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor upon hiring.
Possession of a valid driver’s license with a good driving history
Applications and printable job description may be obtained by visiting our website at www.waterburyct.org or at the Civil Service Office, Chase Municipal Building, 236 Grand St., Waterbury, CT 06702