Job Title: Assessment Clerk
Salary: $39,845 - $47,435
Application Deadline: Friday, January 14, 2022; 5:30 pm
This is a technical position that has the responsibility for the administration of important programs within the Assessor’s Office. The Assessment Clerk’s work involves a variety of record keeping tasks pertaining to real estate, personal property, and motor vehicles. Duties include filing, copying, counterwork, answering phones, motor vehicle valuation, data entry, typing and maintaining a variety of records related to the functions of the Assessor’s Office. This position also has the responsibility for making routine clerical decisions.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general supervision of Assessor and/or his/her designee.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Process real estate transfers and maps filed with the City Clerk’s Office into the Assessor’s Office records and completes transmittal documents
- Processes sales assessment data as required by state statutes, and makes adjustments to the Motor Vehicle Grand List through processing calculations and maintenance of motor vehicle files
- Provides routine information to the public over the phone and in person regarding assessment questions
- Types and maintains various records and reports related to the function of the Assessor’s Office
- Checks computations on the field cards and computes assessment changes and processes form letters to taxpayers informing them of changes
- Provides assistance in administration of special exemptions or elderly benefit programs, Explains requirements, collects required documentation and reviews eligibility for property tax exemption programs
- Sorts, dates, and stamps correspondence and other material in accordance with well defined office procedures
- Assists the Assessor with quadrennial revaluations
- Performs related work as required.
JOB CLASSIFICATION: This position is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Shelton and Local 1303-238, Council #4, AFSCME, AFL-CIO dated April 7, 2021.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants may complete a City of Shelton job application available on the City of Shelton website www.cityofshelton.org (Human Resources page) or on the job posting bulletin board located at the Human Resources Department, Shelton City Hall, 54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted through 5:30 p.m. Friday, January 14, 2022, at Shelton City Hall, Human Resources Office on the first floor of Shelton City Hall, 54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484.
MERIT SYSTEM TESTING: Applications will be reviewed to ensure that each applicant meets the minimum qualification requirements. The top (15) candidates who successfully pass the written test will be invited to participate in an oral panel test. A combined score of the written test (50%) and oral test (50%) will determine the ranking assigned to each candidate. The top ten (I0) candidates will remain on a certified hiring list for at least one (1) year from which the City will hire. All job openings shall be advertised and filled pursuant to the applicable provisions of the City’s Merit System Ordinance.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Pursuant to Article VI Section 6.1 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Shelton and Local 1303-238, Council #4, AFSCME, AFL-CIO dated April 7, 2021, the successful applicant shall be considered probationary for six (6) months following the first day of work for the City of Shelton.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $39,845 – $47,435 per the collective bargaining agreement between the City of Shelton and Local 1303-238, Council #4, AFSCME, AFL-CIO [full time non supervisory administrative and clerical employees].
This position description should not be construed as a complete listing of all duties and is not a contract of employment.
The City of Shelton is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/MF