Job Title: Assessment Analyst
Salary: $44,868 - $48,769
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM
This is responsible clerical, skilled and technical work in the Assessor’s Office.
The work involves responsibility for carrying out various functions pertaining to real estate, personal property and motor vehicles valuation for tax purposes. Duties include reading and interpreting deeds, filing, copying, counter work, answering phones and responding in a responsible manner, determine values for real property, personal property and motor vehicles utilizing CT standard valuation practices, and typing and maintaining a variety of records related to the daily functions of the Assessor’s Office. This position also has the responsibility for making complex routine clerical decisions. The work requires that the employee have good knowledge, skill and ability in standard office procedures, Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal, office equipment and dealing with the public.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Accesses computer programs to find and provide assessment information to the public both on the telephone and in person regarding their assessment questions.
- Performs field inspections of real and personal property as needed. Updates real and personal property information in the CAMA system and reviews the resulting value. Creates income & expense card for specific properties.
- Reads and interprets deeds in order to process real estate transfers filed with the City Clerk’s Office into the Assessor’s Office Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal Software (CAMA) System. Searches deed transfers, identifies properties and makes changes to property record cards.
- Sorts, dates and stamps incoming correspondence and other materials in accordance with well- defined procedures.
- Prorates to an exactly calculable factor the assessed value of motor vehicles.
- Makes adjustments to motor vehicle Grand List after verifying that the proper “proof” has been provided.
- Participates in the processing of various reports such as the State of Connecticut Sales Ratio report that must be filed with the state monthly.
- Assists taxpayers in determining their eligibility for variety of tax relief, abatement or adjustment programs. Accepts applications for these programs and provides assistance in completing these applications when needed.
- Maintains the elderly and veterans database in the administrative software.
- Accepts personal property declarations and Income & Expense Forms.
- Provides assistance in completing applications and/or forms as needed.
- Types routine correspondence in response to taxpayer inquiries as well as interoffice communications when so directed. Scan real estate documents and attach and/or save to the corresponding property utilizing appropriate computer system.
- Provides clerical assistance to Board of Assessment Appeals.
- Participates in preparation of city-wide mailings. Files record cards, tax-exemption applications and other correspondence and documents.
A high school diploma plus three years of progressively responsible skilled, technical experience required in an Assessor’s Office or revaluation company including public contact. Two years of field inspection of real and/or personal property required. An equivalent combination of education and experience which would provide a demonstrated ability to perform the duties of the position may be considered.
Must have completed CCMA courses 1A & 1B.
In order to be considered, applicants must demonstrate on their application they meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
There is a City of Norwich residency requirement. You must reside within the State of Connecticut, 60 miles from Norwich within one year of appointment.
Examination will consist of 100% written.
Norwich, CT 06360-4431
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER