Job Title: Assessment Technician Clerk
Salary: $41,664 - $45,287
Hours: Full Time
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020 at 4:30 PM
This is responsible clerical work involving the assessment of municipal revenues.
Work involves responsibility for satisfying inquiries of taxpayers and other interested parties on assessment related matters, for maintaining records on a current basis and for determining values for real property, personal property and motor vehicles. Duties include reading and interpreting deeds, responding to customer inquiries and responding in a responsible manner. This position also has the responsibility for making routine assessment decisions. The work requires that the employee have good knowledge, skill and ability in standard clerical function, assessment practices and principles, data entry and public contact.
- Accesses computer programs to find and provide assessment information to the public both on the telephone and in person regarding assessment questions.
- Updates real and personal property information in the computer system.
- Reads and interprets deeds in order to process real estate transfers filed with the City Clerk’s Office into the Assessor’s Office Computer System. Searches deed transfers, identifies properties and makes changes to property record cards.
- Sorts, dates and stamps incoming correspondence and other materials in accordance with well- defined procedures.
- Prorates to an exactly calculable factor the assessed value of motor vehicles.
- Makes adjustments to motor vehicle Grand List after verifying that the proper document have been provided.
- Assists taxpayers in determining their eligibility for variety of tax relief, abatement or adjustment programs. Accepts applications for these programs and provides assistance in completing these applications when needed.
- Maintains the elderly and veterans database in the administrative software.
- Accepts personal property declarations and Income & Expense Forms.
- Provides assistance in completing applications and/or forms as needed.
- Type routine correspondence in response to inquiries as well as interoffice communications when so directed. Scan documents and attach and/or save to the appropriate computer system.
- Provides clerical assistance to Board of Assessment Appeals or other Boards/Committees as assigned.
- Participates in preparation of city-wide mailings. Files record cards, tax-exemption applications and other correspondence and documents.
- Performs similar functions on an as needed basis in other departments as assigned.
Works under the general supervision of the Assessor or other assigned personnel.
Must be able to attend assessment administration classes.
In order to be considered, applicants must demonstrate on their application they meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
There is a City of Norwich residency requirement. You must reside within the State of Connecticut, 60 miles from Norwich within one year of appointment.
Examination will consist of 100% written.
The City of Norwich will no longer accept paper applications. Please apply online by selecting the “Apply” link next to the position you are interested in.
Click Here to see the full details and the “Apply” link
Please note, the email you use to set up your account is the email we will use to correspond with you. Make sure you enter this correctly, it cannot be changed once you set up your account. Each applicant MUST have their own account.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER