Job Title: Assistant Assessor
Salary: $35.47 – 37.34 /Hourly
Hours: Mon - Weds 7:30 am to 6:00 pm; Thurs 7:30 am to 6:30 pm; Fri - Closed
Application Deadline: Thursday, October 10, 2019, 6:00 pm
The City of Danbury is currently seeking an Assistant Assessor. This position is responsible for identifying and listing property in Danbury for the purpose of taxation and this also assists in the performance of administrative duties of the department.
General Statement of Duties:
This position is responsible for identifying and listing property in Danbury for the purpose of taxation and this also assists in the performance of administrative duties of the department. Employee is required to perform all similar or related duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies, inspects, and measures real property, and updates field cards accordingly.
- Verifies data and records, and creates a record of each property using automated programs; prepares reports as required.
- Assist in day to day supervision of the office as necessary.
- Attends training programs sponsored by professional organizations.
- Responsible for the prorating of new construction, Real Estate Certificates of correction, reviewing field work and applying and approving new property assessments.
- Provides assistance on an as needed basis to provide customer service, answer telephones, or perform clerical work.
- Responsible for determining and recommending the annual evaluation of personal property as well as the maintenance of detailed records; conducts on-site inspections and discovery of new accounts as necessary.
- Assists the Assessor in the establishment of the annual Grand List.
- Acts as Assessor during his/her temporary periods of absence.
- Reviews and determines the accuracy of the list of motor vehicle registrations assigned to the City of Danbury in order to determine the valuation of motor vehicles in accordance with State regulations as of October 1st each year; conducts necessary research in order to determine the location of motor vehicles and when necessary their pro-rated value.
- Assists the assessor in the preparation of specifications and quality control for periodic revaluations. Also assists with the review of computer assisted mass appraisals in order to insure accuracy and conformance with state regulations and town standards.
Education and Experience
Must have an Associate’s Degree in Finance, Business, Accounting or a related field and three to five (3-5) years of prior experience in property evaluation or related field any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job in the sole determination of the City. Must have 3+ years recent supervisory experience.
Must have a valid Class II Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. State certification as a Municipal Assessor (CCMA) within 3-5 years of appointment preferred.
Applications are available at the Human Resources Dept., 155 Deer Hill Ave., Danbury, CT 06810 or at www.danbury-ct.gov.
Applicants must submit four (4) completed applications which include a valid email address to the Human Resources department no later than 6:00 pm, Thursday October 10, 2019. EEO/M/F/D/V.