Job Title: Assessor
Salary: $70,269 - $87,836
Application Deadline: Thursday, January 21, 2021; 3:00 pm
Plans and coordinates City-wide assessment of real and personal property preparatory to compiling the Grand List for Taxation purposes and related activities; adheres to mandated General Statutes schedules; administers reevaluations, office and budget procedures, compiling the Grand List by verifying the Town Clerk’s data; monitors and confirms data related to the Grand List, and mandatory on-site visits to residential and business properties as needed.
SUPERVISION: Provides general supervision to assessment clerks and other assigned staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Compiles a yearly Grand List of all personal and real property.
- Examines properties and analyzes structural, locational, and capitalized-income value-determining factors.
- Re-evaluates renovated structures and land affected by subdivisions or other changes. Inspects, measures and classifies new buildings and additions.
- Records all changes of ownership of real and personal property.
- Plots and describes properties on street cards.
- Computes land values from tables and determines personal property and automobile values.
- Audits businesses and manufacturing companies to determine personal property assessments.
- Prepares annual office budget request, and administers the approved budget in accordance with City own fiscal policies.
- Compiles, revises and maintains all appropriate departmental maps, records and files.
- Hears appeals from taxpayers and makes corrections if warranted.
- Appears before the Board of Tax Review or the Court of Common Pleas, if necessary, on behalf of the City.
- Performs related work as required.
PERIPHERAL DUTIES: Physical inspection of properties outside the office environment and use of appraisal software on a PC.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Considerable working knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of property valuations.
- Considerable knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations governing the evaluation and assessment of real and personal property.
- Ability to understand and interpret provisions of law pertaining to the assessment and tax exemption of real and personal property.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to objectively analyze factors which may influence the value of property.
- Ability to properly prepare and administer the office budget.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Town and State officials, taxpayers, superiors and subordinates.
Has obtained CCMA 1 and CCMA 2
At least six years of progressively responsible property appraisal experience; OR, At least three years of responsible experience in a municipal Assessor’s Office at or above the level of an Assistant Assessor.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; oral job-related tests may be required. The duties listed above are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position
Applications available by contacting John Marini, Corporation Counsel email@example.com
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – M / F / V / H