Job Title: Assistant Assessor
Hours: Mon - Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm; Friday 8:00 am to 12:00 pm
Application Deadline: April 20, 2018
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Assistant Assessor supports the Assessor’s Office in the assessment of real and personal property for taxation purposes and in maintaining assessment records. This position requires considerable knowledge of State Statutes and all operations of the office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Assessor as needed.
- Maintain heavy contact with appraisers, real estate agents, attorneys, and the general public.
- Provide information requested regarding assessments and programs available through this office.
- Fill out and compute Homeowners, Renters, and Additional Veterans applications.
- Maintain and post exemptions to file
- Price motor vehicles. Prorate motor vehicles.
- Post property transfers.
- Prepare state reports for Assessor’s signature
- Assist in preparation of Grand List.
- Assist other town departments with tax related questions and provides any necessary information to those departments.
- In addition to the essential duties and responsibilities, the employee will be required to perform any other duties assigned by his or her supervisor.
- Works under direct supervision of the Assessor.
- Works under general supervision of the Director of Operations.
- Assists in overseeing the Assessor’s Aide.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES:
- Must have knowledge of Connecticut General Statutes governing the evaluation and assessment of real and personal property.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions
- Position requires extensive communication of a detailed and complex nature with taxpayers and citizens, the business community, and municipal officials and Must have ability to explain assessments to the public
- Must have computer and data processing Familiarity with geographic information systems (GIS) is a plus.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- At least 3 years’ experience in an Assessor’ s Office.
- Must have Connecticut Certified Municipal Assessor designation.
- Must upkeep 50 hours of continuing education every 5 years to maintain Connecticut Certified Municipal Assessor designation.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Essential duties & responsibilities will be reviewed directly with employee’s department head, the Assessor, in an annual meeting scheduled each January.
- The First Selectman, in conjunction with the employee’s department head and HR, will conduct an annual employee performance review each January and mid-year review each July.
- A formal, written report on the employee’s performance will be completed by the First Selectman and the Department Head. The employee must sign off on the report (to show receipt of a copy, not agreement with the evaluation) and a copy will be placed in the employee’s personnel file.
|Contact:||Human Resources Manager
1 First Street
Seymour, CT 06483
|Hours:||8:00 am – 4:30 pm (Monday – Thursday)
8:00 am – 12:00 pm (Friday)