Job Title: Tax Assessor
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Town of New Milford, CT is accepting applications for a Tax Assessor.
This is a highly responsible position planning, supervising, organizing, and administering all of the activities and statutory responsibilities of the Tax Assessor’s office. Duties include setting and defending property values for residential, commercial, and industrial, maintaining current data on each parcel assessed, including maps of boundaries, inventories of land, structures, and personal property, property characteristics, and any applicable exemptions. Performing these duties requires collecting and analyzing data; inspecting, valuing, and assessing all real and personal property within the Town for the purposes of preparing and maintaining the grand list.
Supervision Received: Receives direction from the Mayor and Finance Director.
Supervision Exercised: Direct reports include an Assessor Technician and Secretary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to apply the principals and practices of real and personal property appraisal, valuation and assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply assessment law, assessment methods, and appraisal techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to comply with the statutory provisions applicable to the Assessor’s Office.
- Demonstrated proficiency in personal computed based spreadsheets word processing and database software.
- Demonstrated ability to use GIS Mapping software to efficiently update mapping.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective, cooperative and courteous working relationships with office staff, agencies of the State, the general public, and other departments of the Town.
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully hire staff, supervise others, direct work, manage performance, and establish priorities for staff.
- Demonstrated proficiency in mathematic skills.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Must possess a Certified Connecticut Municipal Assessor (CCMA II) designation which must be maintained throughout employment.
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Real Estate or related field with 3 years relevant experience.
- One year field inspection experience.
- 5 years relevant experience in real and personal property valuation for taxation purposes,
- Minimum 3 years Supervisory experience.
- Experience with Tax Assessment software required, CAMA Software, Vision Appraisal, etc.
May be required to travel within the State of Connecticut. Incumbents are required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license throughout employment.
Send resumes and applications to Greg Bollaro, Director of Personnel, Town of New Milford, 10 Main Street, New Milford, CT 06776. (860) 355-6089. No fax responses.